|“||...these characters hold a special place in the hearts of children and we need to show them a little respect, right?||”|
— Phone Guy, Night 1
Chica is one of the four main antagonists in Five Nights at Freddy's. Chica is an animatronic children's entertainer housed at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, along with Freddy Fazbear and Bonnie. She is the backup singer standing on the right-side in Freddy's band. At midnight, she is left in a "free roaming mode" until 6 AM, to prevent her servos from locking up.
Along with the other animatronics, Chica will attempt to forcefully stuff any human seen after hours into a Freddy Fazbear suit, resulting in death.
Chica is a bright yellow animatronic chicken with a spherically-shaped head, orange beak, magenta eyes, and black eyebrows. On the top of her head are three "tufts" of feathers. She has two talons from each of her orange feet. She wears a white bib that reads "LET'S EAT!!!" in yellow bubble letters, outlined in purple and the bib is flecked with tricolored triangles in patterns of three, and what appear to be tiny stylized pizza slices.
Onstage, she carries a tray on her left hand. On her tray, there is a pink cupcake with two large yellow eyes, a yellow-striped birthday candle with a vinyl candle-light, buck teeth, and no wrapper. But when she leaves the stage, her cupcake will disappear. It is unknown why, or how.
Like all of the other animatronics at Freddy's, she has an out-of-place set of blocky teeth sticking up from her lower beak. Her endoskeleton teeth can also be seen within the back of her mouth, though these are only clearly visible in certain angles.
ike Bonnie and Freddy, Chica starts the night on the Show Stage. When she leaves the Show Stage, Chica may then go to the Kitchen, Restrooms, Dining Area, and East Hall.
Her movements are somewhat random, but she will always approach from the right side. The player can activate the Hall Lights to check if she's in the blind spot.
As Chica gets closer to The Office, her jaw opens wider as she nears. Chica also seems to twitch wildly when she's at the East Hall Corner, though this only occurs on the fourth, fifth, and sixth night, as well as on theCustom Night.
She's also the only animatronic who can access the Kitchen area on the first two nights (as Freddy, who is the only other animatronic who enters the Kitchen, does not become active until the third night). A clashing of pots and pans will be audible, and Chica will not be visible in any other room.
Chica will generally head towards the night guard's position, similar to Bonnie, but she also wanders to the Kitchen and Restrooms. As opposed to Bonnie, Chica will show up at the door less often, but will generally linger there, waiting longer and stealing more of the player's energy, whereas Bonnie will show up more often but leave quickly.
Like the others, she will become more aggressive as the nights progress, with the amount of time the player has to close the door before she enters decreasing.
If the player fails to check the right-side blind spot and close the door while she's at the window, she will sneak into The Office, though she cannot be seen. After she accesses The Office, the buttons to both the door and light on the right side of The Office will no longer function, but rather play an error sound when activated. Another indication that Chica has entered The Office is by listening for groaning sounds that both she and Bonnie make when waiting for the player to lower the Monitor.
During this phase, she will attack the night guard as soon as they lower the Monitor. The only way to survive the night after this occurrence is to not view the Monitor for the remainder of the night or to avoid lowering it if they're close enough to 6 AM, though Chica may still manually pull down the Monitor regardless as to whether or not the player pulls it down themselves.
On later nights, when Chica is in the East Hall Corner, her appearance becomes more erratic. Her head will twitch violently, her eyes will blink rapidly, her mouth will snap open and closed and she will emit theRobotvoice sound byte regardless of whether or not the player has the Monitor focused on her.
Unlike Bonnie, who can teleport around the pizzeria, Chica can only move to adjacent rooms. This is especially noticeable with Cheat Mode enabled in the Android version.
- Chica is often the second animatronic to move, after Bonnie, though she has been known to commonly leave the Show Stage before Bonnie, especially on later nights.
- Chica is the second least active animatronic during the earlier nights.
- Chica has a second set of teeth in the back of her mouth. While these most likely belong to her endoskeleton, some theorize that they belong to a human being, the most popular being Phone Guy, though every single animatronic in the game has endoskeleton teeth inside of their costume.
- Chica is the only original animatronic lacking ears.
- She and Bonnie both make an odd, almost human-like groaning noise when they are near or inside The Office itself. There are many theories that address this, including theories that speculated that the voice belongs to the Phone Guy, or that the teeth and human-like voice could possibly be from one of the five children from The Missing Children Incident. However, as previously mentioned, the teeth inside Chica's mouth belong to the endoskeleton, and are also present on every other animatronic. Additionally, the sound she emits could simply be her artificial voice box (a device that singing animatronics must have to actually sing) malfunctioning as the animatronics are almost 20+ years old and have not been maintained.
- However, it seems unlikely that a voice box can mimic such organic sounds, even if the voice box was malfunctioning.
- Chica's bib is the only costume with text.
- Chica is the only animatronic whose jaw is not separate from her head due to the design of her mouth.
- If one looks at Chica while she is in the East Hall Corner, one can see she appears to have some sort of stitching on her arm.
- Chica is only seen missing any eyes on one occasion, this occasion being when she and Freddy are on the Show Stage alone. Also, Chica is seen with both of her eyes missing in the cutscenes of the second game.
- Unlike Bonnie, Chica stares at the night guard through the window instead of the door.
- Chica is one of two animatronics that don't appear during the Hallucinations, the other being Foxy.
- In the trailer, during the scene with all of the animatronics in the daytime, Chica's second set of teeth can be seen as she lifts up her head.
- Chica could be inspired by Helen Henny, one of Chuck E.'s friends from Chuck E. Cheese's. Both animatronics are both based off of chickens and back-up singers.
- Chica could have also been inspired by Birdie the Early Bird, one of the three original McDonald'sMcDonaldland characters.
- Chica's name could have been inspired by the character of the same name in the children's program The Chica Show.
- "Chica" is also Spanish for "girl" or "cute."
- Chica is mistaken by many fans to be a duck, though she is actually a chicken. This may be because she has a yellow coloration instead of the white or brown coloration of a stereotypical hen, and because her beak resembles a duck's bill. Upon inspection of her feet and alliterative name, however, it is evident that she is a chicken. Chica is also confirmed to be a chicken by Scott Cawthon, in a discussion on the game's mechanics. Her yellow coloring could indicate that she is a chick rather than an adult chicken.
- The plushie version of Chica is holding the cupcake with eyes, as seen in The Office.
- Chica is the only animatronic referred to as a female. Freddy, Bonnie, and Foxy are referred to as males.
- Ironically, Chica's counterparts (including Toy Chica, Phantom Chica, and Nightmare Chica) are the only confirmed females from the entire series.
- There is a glitch that allows the night guard to survive while Chica attacks. If the player raises the Monitor quickly, Chica's scream will repeat, and her kill animation is prolonged, delaying a Game Over,This glitch can also work with Bonnie.
- The sounds of Chica being in the Kitchen can be heard even if the player is not looking at the Kitchen camera.
- Chica is the only animatronic with a spherically shaped head, excluding the beak.
- Chica, as a bird, should not have teeth in reality. However, she has a row of teeth on the lower part of her beak.
- Both of the Chica plushies have the cupcake resting in their right hands. However, Chica, Toy Chica, and Nightmare Chica are all only ever seen holding it in their left hands.
- Occasionally, Chica can be heard in the Kitchen after the power runs out.
- Chica is referred to as a "he" in Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver Eyes. This is most likely an error by the book authors, as several spelling errors and grammar errors seems to have appeared in the book.
- It was revealed in Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver Eyes that Chica's cupcake has articulated eyes and jaw.
- On Chica's action figure bio, it reveals her cupcake's name as Mr. Cupcake.
- In some areas of the game, Chica has a back bib, while in others, she doesn't. This is most likely a texture error.
- The same happens with Toy Chica.